In an unofficial and, let’s be honest, unscientific survey on social media, I asked friends and business colleagues, “What type of music do you listen to while you work?” Of course, the Chicago Piano Tuners team was hoping everyone would respond, “Piano music!”
Why is music important while we work?
If you work in a busy office, especially open space, music can drown distracting noises. The co-worker clipping their nails (ew!), the slurping of a soda, and crunching on a snack are just a few of the workplace sounds that can distract us from the task at hand. Music or white noise helps drown these sounds so you can get your work done. In addition to distracting the brain, music can be a motivator. [Source]
- Fast music for working out.
- Music without words for working or studying.
- Good beats that make you dance.
If you’re working on repetitive tasks, music helps you perform faster with fewer errors. That’s because it triggers the release of feel good hormones known as neurotransmitters. These hormones make you feel more relaxed and better able to focus. [Source]
Results ran across the spectrum. While some respondents said they blast 1980’s long hair, others said they work in silence in the wee hours of the night, and everything in between.
- Classical piano (yay!) when writing. Some even named specific composers or types of music (piano, violins, etc.).
- Current music when answering emails and handling other relatively mundane tasks that can be done a quick pace. Music seems to stimulate the pace of work.
- Dance music or oldies when cleaning the office. (and who doesn’t need a good dance party every once in a while!)
And an LOL to my friends who responded that they listen to hold music most often!
Whatever the type of music you listen to while you work, Chicago Piano Tuners loves that you’re listening and benefiting from the experience.
Ready to start playing that piano that’s been sitting gathering dust? We’re here to tune it for you! Scheduled a piano tuning today.